Items Similar to Rare 19th Century French Antique Peacock’s Nest Pocket Watch Holder Porte Montre View More
Rare 19th Century French Antique Peacock’s Nest Pocket Watch Holder Porte Montre
Beautifully handcrafted display stand from which to hang a pocket watch features an ornate, embossed scrolling motif gold metal frame with leaf and red glass bead embellishments and 3 hooks. The pocket watch is inserted from the back of the stand, to hang from the center hook and be decoratively “framed”. Beneath the frame is a whimsical peacock on a nest containing 3 golden eggs, 2 golden flowers with turquoise centers and 3 leaves. Stand attaches to a rectangular alabaster stone base with a beveled edge. Bottom is felted to protect table surface. Measures approximately 5.5” high x 3.5” wide x 2.25” deep. Will hold a small to medium sized pocket watch. Pictured pocket watch is for display purposes only and is not included. Weighs approximately 5.5 ounces. During the 19th Century, people used pocket watch holders, often referred to as "watch hutches", to store their pocket watches overnight to protect them from loss or damage. These watch holders converted any pocket watch into a small table clock. They also made perfect bedside clocks, before alarm clocks were invented. The French called them porte montre, meaning “watch stands.” Parisian artisans fashioned ornate watch holders for wealthy travelers visiting Paris on the Grand Tour. Pocket watches were a necessity during this era and fine shops along the Palais Royal specialized in selling unusual and whimsical pocket watch accessories.
- In the Style Of
- Date of ManufactureCirca 1890s
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 5.5 in. x W 3.5 in. x Dm 2.25 in.H 139.7 mm x W 88.9 mm x Dm 57.15 mm
- Diameter2.25 in. (57.15 mm)
- Weight5.5 t oz
- Seller LocationTustin, CA
- Seller Reference Number0071-SW
- Reference NumberLU115816900882
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingFree ShippingStandardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 8-10 days.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 2 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2018
Typical response time: <1 hour
Located in Tustin, CA
More From This Seller
Beautiful Antique Loving Cherubs Gold Metal Poc...
Antique Late 19th Century Victorian
Antique French Metal Jewelry Box with Hand Pain...
Antique 19th Century Rococo
$10,320 Sale Price
Flamboyant 11.5 Carat Diamond "Princess of Peac...
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary
You May Also Like
$1,000 Sale Price
Mid-20th Century Hippo Handbag Purse
Antique 19th Century French Old Mine Cut Diamon...
Antique Late 19th Century Victorian
Sterling Silver Antique Chain Mail Mesh Evening...
Antique Late 19th Century
1920s French Gold Calibre Sapphire Set Purse
Vintage 1920s Art Deco
$1,175 Sale Price
Antique Sewing Needlework Set in fitted bound b...
Antique Early 19th Century
Antique Pale Celadon Ruki-Shaped Chinese Jade H...
Early 20th Century Gilded Age
Sterling Silver Antique LS & Co. Chain Main Mes...
Antique Early 1900s