Oil on Canvas, sacrifice of soldiers of Hernán Cortés, colonial sch 17th CenturyItem Status:
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 7
Oil on Canvas, sacrifice of soldiers of Hernán Cortés, colonial sch 17th Century
Oil on canvas "sacrifice of soldiers of Hernán Cortés (La Noche Triste)" Colonial school, XVII century. Oil on canvas showing a scene located on what could be the facade of a palace, given the steps and pedestal that can be seen. In the center, a large number of people (mostly soldiers by the weapons they carry), are located around a male character (sitting and tied up, naked, with the skin being torn off by two men with a Phrygian cap) and another with crown and scepter of command. First of all, some natural shapes and some plants create some space for the viewer. The headdresses and clothing of some characters are reminiscent of traditional clothing from pre-Hispanic Latin America, so it is possible that a specific moment may be shown within the events of La Noche Triste (sacrifice of the imprisoned Castilians). Thus is known the defeat suffered by the Castilian soldiers of Hernán Cortés and his allies at the hands of the Mexica army between June 30 and July 1, 1520 on the outskirts of Tenochtitlan (today Mexico City). It is necessary to place it after the entry of Cortés in Tenochtitlan on November 8, 1519, his reception by Moctezuma II (and other Mexica lords), who ended up imprisoned, which angered his vassals. After the Massacre of the Templo Mayor and several combats, the Spanish ended up fleeing at midnight on June 30, 1520, but were discovered and attacked. The captured surviving Spaniards were slaughtered along with the captured Tlaxcalans. Bernal Díez del Castillo, in his “True History of the Conquest of New Spain”, says that six hundred Christians died, more than half of Cortés's troops. The main Mexica deity, associated with the sun, was Huitzilopochtli, also known as Ilhuicatl Xoxouhqui or Tlacauepan Cuexcotzin, and, thanks to his order, México-Tenochtitlan was founded. Among other places, he was worshiped at the Templo Mayor." · Size: 77x5x61 cms.
- DimensionsHeight: 24.02 in. (61 cm)Width: 30.32 in. (77 cm)Depth: 1.97 in. (5 cm)
- StyleBaroque (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture17th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor fading. As far as we know, it only has been professionaly cleaned.
- Seller LocationMadrid, ES
- Reference NumberSeller: ZF05931stDibs: LU2951318264202
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Estimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: Madrid, Spain
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in Madrid, Spain
5 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 1985
1stDibs seller since 2017
169 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 2 hours
More From This Seller
- Located in Madrid, ESDescent oil on canvas. Flemish school, 17th century. In the foreground of the painting is located, in the cente...Category
Antique 17th Century European Baroque PaintingsMaterials
- Located in Madrid, ESOil on board. Rural landscape with a watercourse, a stone bridge and a house in ruins, located among trees, ani...Category
Early 20th Century European Baroque PaintingsMaterials
- By Francesco da CastelloLocated in Madrid, ESFrans van de Casteele (Kasteels) named Francesco da Castello (Brussels, circa 1541 - Rome, 1621). "Adoration of...Category
Antique Early 1600s Italian Baroque PaintingsMaterials
- Located in Madrid, ESOil on canvas showing a natural background landscape, barely sketched, to give prominence to the figures that ar...Category
20th Century European Other PaintingsMaterials
- By Alejandro Gómez MarcoLocated in Madrid, ESSigned in the lower left corner "GOMEZ MarCo". Alejandro Gomez MarCo (Madrid, 1942-2020) Born in Madrid. Studi...Category
20th Century Spanish Other PaintingsMaterials
You May Also Like
Oil on Canvas Flemish School, 17th Century
Located in Beuzevillette, FR
Oil on canvas depicting a country scene: a man watering his horse near a river where two cows and a sheep wade accompanied by a farmer. Work of northern France or Belgium of the 17t...
Antique 17th Century Belgian Paintings
17th Century Oil on Canvas S. Girolamo in the Desert
Located in Palermo, IT
St Jerome in the desert depicted with a lion. The figure of a Saint is very beautiful and anatomically well proportioned made in Center of Italy 17th century.
Antique Mid-17th Century Italian Baroque Paintings
Circle of Alessandro Salucci, 17th Century Italian Oil on Canvas 'Capriccio'
By Alessandro Salucci
Located in Kinderhook, NY
17th-century Italian Baroque oil on canvas 'capriccio' painting in the manner of Alessandro Salucci depicting an urban battle scene between what appear to be Spanish soldiers and civ...
Antique 17th Century Italian Baroque Paintings
17th Century Flemish Oil on Panel Monogrammist H.C., Soldiers Gambling for Tunic
Located in IT
17th century Flemish oil on panel Monogrammist H. C. "Soldiers gambling for Christ's tunic" The fine painting depicts the biblical scene in which the four soldiers, in charge of ...
Antique 17th Century Dutch Baroque Paintings
17th Century, Oil on Canvas Dutch Painting with Hunting Scene
Located in IT
17th century, oil on canvas Dutch painting with hunting scene Oil on canvas. Dimensions: frame W 81 x H 75 cm, canvas 58 x 49 cm The oil on canvas painting depicts a hunting sc...
Antique Late 17th Century Dutch Baroque Picture Frames
17th Century Spanish Oil on Canvas Depicting a Queen
Located in Los Angeles, CA
A 17th century Spanish oil painting on canvas depicting a queen witting on a throne with a crown on her head wearing an elaborate costume in brown Gray Red and Beige. She is wearing ...
Antique 17th Century Spanish Paintings
"The Annunciation" 17th-18th Century Oil on Canvas
Located in New York, NY
A very serene and beautiful painting of "The Annunciation". Oil on canvas with gold detailing in the halos, clothing and architectural details. The size dictates there is a distinct ...
Antique 17th Century Spanish Renaissance Paintings
Price Upon Request
17th Century Italian Oil Painting on Canvas, Subject Mythological
Located in Bosco Marengo, IT
Important ancient oil painting on canvas of Bolognese school second half 17th century. The scene is very complex and animated. The subject is mythological Juno announces the arrival ...
Antique 1680s Italian Paintings
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery
More Ways To Browse
Sailing Ship Paintings
Oil Spanish 18th
Antique English Portrait
17th Century French Painting
French 17th C Paintings
Italian Rococo Painting
Chinese Ancestor Painting
Antique Gilt Framed Paintings
California Artist Mid Century Modern