Items Similar to "Male Nude with Banner and Pole," Rare Midcentury Painting by Lear
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 6
"Male Nude with Banner and Pole," Rare Midcentury Painting by Lear
John Lear was a contemporary of Paul Cadmus and like him, highly focused on depicting the male figure in various settings and positions. However, Lear never gained fame beyond his circle of admirers in the Philadelphia area. Unlike Cadmus, Lear depicted nude or half-nude figures set in fantastic or exotic environments such as the circus, carnival, deserted beach, or Dali-esque setting. This richly-detailed watercolor, depicting a tall, lean male figure straddling a pole holding a Medieval banner, is a relatively early piece. Lear's earliest paintings tend to be in oil; later he moved to watercolor, and still later to colored pencil. (Dimensions include frame).
- CreatorJohn B. Lear (Painter)
- DimensionsHeight: 28 in. (71.12 cm)Width: 24 in. (60.96 cm)Depth: 1 in. (2.54 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1960s
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU865110648413
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$175 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 3-5 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in Philadelphia, PA
5 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 2005
1stDibs seller since 2009
201 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 1 hour
More From This Seller
- By John B. LearLocated in Philadelphia, PAA contemporary of Paul Cadmus, and like him, highly focused on depicting the male figure in various settings and...Category
Vintage 1950s American Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
CanvasH 22.5 in. W 18.25 in.$4,500
- By John B. LearLocated in Philadelphia, PAOver his long career, John Lear liked to depict nude or half-nude male figures set in fantastic or exotic enviro...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern PaintingsH 18 in. W 17 in. D .75 in.$2,100
- By John B. LearLocated in Philadelphia, PAMuch like Salvador Dali, who continued to create his mysterious and puzzling landscapes long after Surrealism ha...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco PrintsH 21 in. W 25.75 in. D 1 in.$2,950
- By Leon (Dusso) d'UsseauLocated in Philadelphia, PABeautifully painted and with an arresting subject, this piece -- with its male nude subject having removed his o...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
PaintH 30 in. W 18.5 in. D 1.5 in.$8,750
- By Gaylord FloryLocated in Philadelphia, PASurrounded by an abstract series of planes in mottled slate and sand hues, this strong and confident nude figura...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern PaintingsMaterials
PaintH 36.5 in. W 28.5 in. D 1 in.$4,800
- By Raoul Pene du BoisLocated in Philadelphia, PABrilliantly hued and striking in composition, this painting by famed Broadway designer Raoul Pene du Bois is one...Category
Vintage 1950s American Art Deco PaintingsMaterials
PaintH 55.5 in. W 27 in. D .1 in.$7,500
You May Also Like
Italian Male Nude Painting by Artist Falfavino
Located in Los Angeles, CA
Italian male nude painting by artist Falfavino who was inspired by Mussolini's face and the body of Donatello's David. Painting measures 34" x 53"
Vintage 1930s Italian Paintings
Midcentury Abstract Expressionist Male Nude Portrait by Lois Foley Whitcomb
By Lois Foley
Located in Brooklyn, NY
Oil nude portrait by Lois Foley Whitcomb. Dimensions: 40" by 29 3/4" Condition: Very good vintage condition. Foley was born in Groton, Vermont, in 1937, and studied drawing and ...
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Paintings
$3,200 Sale Price
Midcentury Male Portrait Original Painting by Hollywood Artist
Located in Palm Springs, CA
Ray C. Grimes (1907-1962) was a Hollywood artist know as "portrait artist to the stars". This important painting from the artist's personal collection is for the 1st time. A study of...
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Paintings
Stylized Male Nude by A. C Taylor, 1950s
Located in St Annes, Lancashire
Great stylized male nude in the manner of Keith Vaughan. Oil on board. Unframed Signed bottom right.
Vintage 1950s English Mid-Century Modern Paintings
Male Nude by Faye Swengel Badura
By Faye Swengel Badura
Located in Oaks, PA
Male nude oil on canvas by New Hope School modernist Faye Swengel Badura (1904-1991). 23.75"Wide x 37.5"High Gilt WoodFramed, Canvas is 19.25"Wide x 33.5"High This item is presently ...
20th Century American Paintings
Rare and Large Abstract Midcentury Painting
Located in L'Escala, ES
Beautiful and rare large abstract painting on wood, midcentury, artist unknown.
Mid-20th Century French Paintings
Midcentury Nude Study Painting 1938
Located in San Francisco, CA
A nude study painted on canvas, unframed, dated April 23rd 1938.
Mid-20th Century American Paintings
'Immersion' Original Fine Art Figural Nude Male Painting by Helen Bayley
Located in Lambertville, NJ
Original figural male nude oil on canvas entitled 'Immersion' by Helen Bayley of Florence, Italy. This Fine art painting is unframed and unsigned. Provenance: Morpeth Contemporary Ga...
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery
More Ways To Browse
Mid Century Modern Painting Male Nude
Charles and Ray Eames Armchairs
Vintage Berber Kilim
Wall Painted Relief
White Gold Diamond Estate Bracelet
Wide Bangle Bracelets
Yellow Mid Century Murano Glass Vase
Vintage Leather Coat