Items Similar to Italian Baroque Period Drawing of the Head of John The Baptist
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 5
Italian Baroque Period Drawing of the Head of John The Baptist
This very fine drawing from the early Baroque period is in Sanguine on laid paper. this Italian drawing in a rich brown-red is framed in a fine old gilded frame and has a beautiful old french matte. The image of the head of John the Baptist after his beheading is full of drama and impact. Rendered as if from life with the hand of the artist true and sharp giving us an image almost three dimensional in nature showing much detail & strength but without any unnecessary gore or blood. Though a strong religious image well understood by any Italian or Roman Catholic of the period the drawing simply shows the portrait of an elder statesman and leader up close with power and life still present even at the moment of the allegorical story's climax. This drawing was once part of the estate of Renzo Mongiardino. Condition Disclosure: While we do our best to carefully inspect and give a full report on the condition of any item we sell, pointing out any repairs or alterations that may have been done to the best of our knowledge, as is the case with any antique and vintage item, there is a possibility that at some point in the life of the piece that there may have been damaged which has been professionally repaired and as such a repair undetectable, it is therefore impossible for us to disclose... we recommend that you also read and agree to the 1st dibs user agreement, particularly sections 9,13,15,18,19 and 27
- DimensionsHeight: 20.5 in. (52.07 cm)Width: 17.5 in. (44.45 cm)Depth: 1 in. (2.54 cm)
- StyleBaroque (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1700
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor fading. While the frame and matte are old they have lovely and appropriate wear and rub thrus to add to the drawings looks and style.
- Seller LocationHudson, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: 14071081131146
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingUS$110 Standard Parcel Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 4-6 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: Hudson, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in Hudson, NY
4.8 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 1978
1stDibs seller since 2005
258 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 15 hours
More From This Seller
- Located in Hudson, NYThis lovely baroque ink drawing of Christ with the cross comes from a fine collection of drawings we have been h...Category
Antique Late 17th Century Spanish Baroque DrawingsMaterials
- Located in Hudson, NYThis work likely Italian dates from circa 1680-1700. It relates directly to a 16th century engraving of the same...Category
Antique Late 17th Century Italian Renaissance DrawingsMaterials
- Located in Hudson, NYThis drawing on blue paper is from a collection of late 18th and early 19th century drawings mostly made during ...Category
Antique 19th Century French Empire DrawingsMaterials
You May Also Like
Drawing of a Roman Head
Located in New York, NY
Drawing of a Roman head done in chalk and signed by Bert Smith. Property from esteemed interior designer Juan Montoya. Juan Montoya is one of the most acclaimed and prolific inter...
Antique 19th Century North American Drawings
French Academy Drawing of a Lions Head
Located in New Orleans, LA
French Academy drawing of a lions head from Ecole des Beaux-Arts portfolio.
Antique 19th Century French Drawings
17th Century Oil on Canvas Italian Religious Painting Saint John Baptist, 1680
Located in Vicoforte, Piedmont
Ancient Italian painting from the second half of the 17th century. Framework oil on canvas depicting a religious subject Saint John of excellent pictorial quality. Antique wooden fra...
Antique 1680s Italian Paintings
Large Drawing in the Style of Guardi, Italian School
Located in Boston, MA
Venetian Capriccio, after Francesco Guardi (Italian, 1712-1793) Unsigned, with a label from Wandenberg Freres (Paris) affixed to the back of the mat.
Antique 19th Century Italian Rococo Drawings
Old Master Drawing in the Manner of Antoine Coypel
Located in Ottawa, Ontario
Old master drawing Manner of Antoine Coypel (Paris 1661-1722) Head of a bearded man Black chalk heightened with red on laid paper. Approximate measures: 3 1/2in. (9 cm.) x ...
Antique 18th Century French Baroque Drawings
New Objectivity Drawing (Head of Gothic Woman) by Beeldens
Located in New York, NY
Neue Sachlichkeit drawing by Beeldens, unframed, pencil & charcoal on paper. Neue Sachlichkeit (The New Objectivity). New objectivity painters infused a vital humanistic reality int...
Vintage 1930s Belgian Mid-Century Modern Drawings
US$960 Sale Price
Pair of Portrait Drawings of Sir John and Lady Stanley
Located in Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire
A pair of wash drawings of Sir John and Lady Stanley and their children John Thomas and Isabella. Sir John's spaniel is also in the picture. By H Jouvry dated 1798 and 1799 In bird...
Antique Late 18th Century English Drawings
US$2,816 / set
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery