- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Ettore Sottsass Jr. for Poltronova, Rosewood Square Coffee Table, 1958
- DimensionsHeight: 14.97 in. (38 cm)Width: 30.32 in. (77 cm)Depth: 30.32 in. (77 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1958
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationMilan, IT
- Reference NumberSeller: 2-TA-SOT-WO-A1stDibs: LU2316321363362
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Customs Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Milan, Italy
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About Ettore Sottsass (Designer)
An architect, industrial designer, philosopher and provocateur, Ettore Sottsass led a revolution in the aesthetics and technology of modern design in the late 20th century.
Sottsass was the oldest member of the Memphis Group — a design collective, formed in Milan in 1980, whose irreverent, spirited members included Alessandro Mendini, Michele de Lucchi, Michael Graves and Shiro Kuramata. All had grown disillusioned by the staid, black-and-brown “corporatized” modernism that had become endemic in the 1970s. Memphis (the name stemmed from the title of a Bob Dylan song) countered with bold, brash, colorful, yet quirkily minimal designs for furniture, glassware, ceramics and metalwork. They mocked high-status by building furniture with inexpensive materials such as plastic laminates, decorated to resemble exotic finishes such as animal skins. Their work was both functional and — as intended — shocking.
Sottsass's most-recognized designs appeared in the first Memphis collection, issued in 1981 — notably the multihued, angular Carlton room divider and Casablanca bookcase. As pieces on 1stDibs demonstrate, however, Sottsass is at his most imaginative and expressive in smaller, secondary furnishings such as lamps and chandeliers, and in table pieces and glassware that have playful and sculptural qualities.
It was as an artist that Ettore Sottsass was celebrated in his life, in exhibitions at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, in 2006, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art a year later. Even then Sottsass’s work prompted critical debate. And for a man whose greatest pleasure was in astonishing, delighting and ruffling feathers, perhaps there was no greater accolade. That the work remains so revolutionary and bold — that it breaks with convention so sharply it will never be considered mainstream — is a testament to his genius.
- By Ettore Sottsass, PoltronovaLocated in Milan, ITEttore Sottsass Jr. for Poltronova, rare round mahogany dining table, 1956 Four metal legs hold a round top sur...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- By Nanda VigoLocated in Milan, ITNanda Vigo for Vetreria Artistica Macherio, extremely rare "I nuovi Barbari" coffee table, 1989. The shattered ...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
Glass, Art Glass, Wood$3,400 Sale Price30% Off
- Located in Milan, ITItalian Mid-Century Modern, pink marble top coffee table, circa 1950.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- By Henry Rosengren HansenLocated in Milan, ITHenry Rosengren Hansen for Mobelindustri, Danish mid-century dining table in rosewood, 1960 An awesome Teak din...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern TablesMaterials
- Located in Milan, ITItalian Art Deco, unique wooden table with glass top, circa 1920.Category
Vintage 1920s Italian Art Deco TablesMaterials
- By StilnovoLocated in Milan, ITGeometric sheet metal Stilnovo Attributed applique with oval yellow diffuser, 1958. The white sheet metal struc...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Brass, Sheet Metal
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Card Tables and Tea Tables
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Tables
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Center Tables
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Tables
Vintage 1970s Italian Post-Modern Desks and Writing Tables
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Side Tables
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Console Tables
Vintage 1970s Italian Coffee and Cocktail Tables
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery