Rare Pair of Jens Risom Upholstered and Walnut Armchairs Model #205Item Status:
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 8
Rare Pair of Jens Risom Upholstered and Walnut Armchairs Model #205
US$12,800Asking Priceper set
Pair of Jens Risom armchairs. model #205 This is a really great unique style in that the height and construction is styled to be either a dining chair, a desk chair, or can be used as occasional, or lounge chair. They are quite comfortable. These chairs are in near excellent condition. Walnut frame with a sturdy tweed like upholstery.
- CreatorJens Risom (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 32.25 in. (81.92 cm)Width: 25 in. (63.5 cm)Depth: 24 in. (60.96 cm)Seat Height: 19 in. (48.26 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 8
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1949
- Conditionreally great- near excellent condition.
- Seller LocationHudson, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1062822580642
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Hudson, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
The Danish-born Jens Risom brought the Scandinavian design sensibility to a wide audience in the United States. As the first designer for Knoll Inc., Risom introduced American buyers to the region’s enduring design values of simplicity, grace and craftsmanship. Risom trained in furniture making at the Copenhagen School of Industrial Arts and Design under Ole Wanscher, alongside classmates Hans Wegner and Borge Mogensen. In 1939, a year after graduating from business school, Risom decided to move to the U.S. While working for an interior designer in New York in 1941, he met Hans Knoll, and the businessman and the designer hit it off. They brought out their first line the next year, despite wartime materials restrictions. The signature piece — now a design icon — was a lounge chair with a striking, undulant birch frame and a seat made of webbed sub-military grade parachute straps. Risom was drafted into the army, and served as a translator under General George Patton. When he returned from the war, Risom clashed over furniture design ideals with his business partner’s new bride, Florence Knoll, who was schooled in the Bauhaus method, which favored furniture with strict, geometric metal frames. Risom then started his own company, Jens Risom Design. In the course of his long career, Risom developed a stylistic vocabulary that was a reflection of the life of the man himself: his furniture has Danish warmth coupled with an American air of crisp efficiency. A Risom chair is almost instantly recognizable — the arms and seat backs are set at a distinctive angle that seems to invite people to sit back and relax, yet they know they can hop up in an instant, ready to go. As you will see from these pages, Jens Risom is one of the great men of American modern design, who made furniture that is unique and timeless. Read more about Jens Risom in Introspective magazine.
About the Seller
Located in Hudson, NY
4.8 / 5
These expertly vetted sellers are 1stDibs' most experienced sellers and are rated highest by our customers.
Established in 1996
1stDibs seller since 2014
292 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: <1 hour
More From This Seller
- By Jens RisomLocated in Hudson, NYPair of Jens Risom armchairs. model #205 This is a really great unique style in that the height and constructio...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- By Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, KnollLocated in Hudson, NYBrno chairs made by Knoll. All labels present and arms are imprinted on the underside with the Knoll imprint as...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs ...Materials
- By Jens RisomLocated in Hudson, NYStunning tall Jens Risom attributed highboy with ebonized oak pulls and woven cane doors.Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Cane, Oak, Walnut
- By Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Hudson, NYExecutive armchairs designed by Eero Saarinen and manufactured by Knoll. Good and usable chairs in very good con...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Located in Hudson, NYSet of 6 stunning faux bamboo wood chairs with amazing upholstery. Frames are carved hardwood with a lovely pain...Category
Mid-20th Century American Chinese Chippendale Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Wood, Upholstery, Cane
- By Erwin-Lambeth, Tomlinson/Erwin-Lambeth Furniture CompanyLocated in Hudson, NYA set of six very elegant dining or occasional chairs in the original cranberry colored velour upholstery. Good ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Rare Jens Risom Leather Executive Chair for Jens Risom Design Inc.
By Jens Risom
Located in Los Angeles, CA
This an extremely rare Jens Risom high back executive armchair for Jens Risom design Inc. It features incredibly smooth black leather upholstery with a beautiful shiny patina and a m...
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk Chairs
Jens Risom Walnut Side Chair
By Jens Risom
Located in Berkeley, CA
Midcentury walnut side chair designed by Jens Risom. Chair crafted at solid walnut frame, newly upholstered in teal leather seat and print on backrest. Chair is fully restored in exc...
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
Leather, Fabric, Walnut
Mid-Century Modern Walnut and Naugahyde Chairs by Jens Risom
By Jens Risom
Located in Brooklyn, NY
Mid-Century Modern, side chairs by Jens Risom feature walnut frames with caramel brown Naugahyde upholstery.
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side Chairs
Pair of Two Jens Risom for Avon Corporation Armchairs Chairs
By Jens Risom
Located in West Hartford, CT
From the now closed Avon corporate building in Stamford, Connecticut, these matching armchairs work great in a dining room, office or as accent chairs. The deep burgundy upholstery ...
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Mid Century Modern Armchairs 'Oval-Back' by Jens Risom
By Finn Juhl, Knoll, Jens Risom
Located in Framingham, MA
Beautiful set of oval-back armchairs in by Jens Risom designed armchairs, circa 1960s. The refinished oiled walnut frames reveal beautiful woods grain. Re-upholstered in sage green v...
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Fabric, Velvet, Walnut
US$2,750 / set
Solid Walnut Newly Upholstered Set of Four Gunlocke Chairs Risom Style
By Gunlocke, Jens Risom
Located in Rockaway, NJ
Very nice set of four Mid-Century modern newly upholstered solid walnut gunlock chairs in Risom style.
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Jens Risom Mid Century Walnut Dining Chairs, Set of 3
By Jens Risom
Located in La Grange, IL
Jens Risom mid century walnut dining chairs - Set of 3 Each chair measures: 18 wide x 20.5 deep x 32 high, with a seat height of 18.5 inches All pieces of furniture can be had in...
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
US$1,995 / set
Jens Risom Midcentury Walnut Dining Chairs, a Set of Six
By Jens Risom
Located in Philadelphia, PA
Set of six model C276 dining chairs in walnut by Jens Risom. Newly refinished and reupholstered in a lovely white textured velvet.
Mid-20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
US$5,600 / set