Architectural Desk Chair by Paul McCobbItem Status:
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 8
Architectural Desk Chair by Paul McCobb
A very unusual desk chair featuring great architectural form designed by Paul McCobb newly refinished in medium walnut and re-upholstery in high grade grey linen. Matching desk also available.
- CreatorPaul McCobb (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 33.5 in. (85.09 cm)Width: 16 in. (40.64 cm)Depth: 19.5 in. (49.53 cm)Length: 33.5 in. (85.09 cm)Seat Height: 19 in. (48.26 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of ManufactureMid-20th Century
- Seller LocationStamford, CT
- Reference NumberSeller: SM6171stDibs: LU92891255096
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Stamford, CT
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
You could call Paul McCobb a man of parts. As a furniture designer, his work combined the attributes of many of his now better-known peers. Like Bauhaus designers such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Marcel Breuer, his furniture had purity of form and line. Like the designs of Florence Knoll and George Nelson and his associates, McCobb’s work was efficient and purposeful. And even like George Nakashima, he was adept at interpreting traditional forms, in particular those of chairs, for the 20th century. More than any other designer beside Russel Wright, with his ubiquitous ceramic tableware, McCobb was arguably responsible for the introduction of modern design into middle-class American households — if for no other reason than that he designed the 1952 set for the original Today show. McCobb also designed cohesive lines of furnishings, such as his best-known Planner Group, that gave homes an instant “look.” McCobb designed for several companies, most notably Directional, the New York firm that also produced designs by other legends, such as Paul Evans and Vladimir Kagan. The signal aesthetic attribute of McCobb designs is that he completely forsook ornament — his pieces have no flourishes. And yet, because they are honest — the chairs, desks and tables are made of solid wood, usually maple or birch, often paired with frames and legs of wrought iron; the cabinets are traditionally scaled; the seating pieces have historic antecedents such as the Windsor chair — McCobb’s mid-century modern work has warmth and presence. As you can see from the offerings on 1stDibs, Paul McCobb designs are the pin-striped suit, or the little black dress, of a décor: an essential.
About the Seller
Located in Stamford, CT
4.9 / 5
These expertly vetted sellers are 1stDibs' most experienced sellers and are rated highest by our customers.
Established in 2011
1stDibs seller since 2012
332 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 1 hour
More From This Seller
- By Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTClassic desk in mahogany designed by Paul McCobb, Calvin collection, circa 1950s. Fully restored. Signature bras...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Desks and Writing TablesMaterials
- By Vladimir Kagan, Kagan-Dreyfuss, Inc.Located in Stamford, CTAn elegant swiveling desk chair featuring distinctively shaped seat floating above a sculptural cruciform carved...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- By Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTUncommon set of beautifully restored slipper chairs designed by Paul McCobb for Directional, circa 1950s. Re-uph...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Slipper ChairsMaterials
- By Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTAn important set of fully restored bronze side tables designed by Paul McCobb, circa 1950s. Bronze frames hav...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
Brass, BronzeUS$8,400 / set
- By Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTNine piece dining set in mahogany, leather and brass designed by Paul McCobb for The Calvin Group, circa 1950-19...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
- By Directional, Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTStunning travertine, brass and bleached walnut coffee table designed by Paul McCobb for Directional, circa 1950s...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
You May Also Like
Fiberglass Origami Chair by Paul McCobb
By Paul McCobb
Located in Atlanta, GA
A rare design by Paul McCobb (American, 1917-1969) for St. John, circa 1950s, this all original Origami Chair if made of a light blue fiberglass seat and black iron rod frame. The se...
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Cityscape Fabric Desk Arm Side Chair with Castors by Paul Evans Inc
By Paul Evans
Located in Wayne, NJ
Chrome cityscape fabric desk arm side chair with castors by Paul Evans Inc. Has a metallic stripe on fabric. May work well as a vanity chair also, but check arm height, compared to y...
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Desk Chair by Tito Agnoli
By Tito Agnoli, Matteo Grassi
Located in Chicago, IL
Tito Agnoli for Matteo Grassi "Korium" desk chair. Original leather with nice patina. Tilt, swivel adjustable hydraulic up/down on casters.
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Paul McCobb Origami Shell
By Paul McCobb
Located in Brooklyn, NY
Vintage Origami shell chair in orange on metal frame base, designed by Paul McCobb for St. John Seating Corp. A twist on the Classic molded shell shape, this faceted chair has a dist...
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Side Chairs
Paul McCobb Lounge Chair
By Paul McCobb
Located in New York, NY
Dramatic and elegant lounge midcentury chair by Paul McCobb. This example is structurally sound and sturdy, but will need to be reupholstered. Measures: Total H 37 x arm H 18.5 x sea...
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
1960s Desk Chair by Ward Bennett
By Ward Bennett
Located in Sagaponack, NY
A desk chair with original sage upholstery, on an X-form base. Casters can be added.
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Chairs
US$2,800 / item
Swivel Desk Chair by Emeco
Located in New York, NY
Sleek architectural swivel desk chair in black with bright steel trim. This chair swivels a full 360 degrees, the back tilts and the backrest also tilts to adjust position. The seat ...
Late 20th Century American Art Deco Office Chairs and Desk Chairs
Italian Desk Chair
By Studio BBPR
Located in Dronten, NL
Elegant Italian desk chair made in 1960. The chair is height adjustable and swivels. All original, the Naugahyde upholstery is still in excellent vintage condition. There is no la...
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk Chairs