Items Similar to Pitcairn Island "Mutiny on the Bounty" Hand Carved Wall-Mounted Flying Fish View More
Pitcairn Island "Mutiny on the Bounty" Hand Carved Wall-Mounted Flying Fish
Carved by the descendants of Fletcher Christian (1764-1793), the master’s mate on the HMS bounty. On 28 April 1789, Fletcher Christian led a mutiny on-board the bounty and from this point forward was considered an outlaw. Fletcher Christian and eight other men settled on the island. Several generations later the islanders, although proud of their ancestry are somewhat indifferent to the saga of 'the Mutiny on the Bounty' that has fired the imagination of the rest of the world. They supplement their modest incomes by making carvings from miro wood, harvested on the coral atoll of Henderson Island, one of three other islands belonging to the Pitcairn group. This size indicated is an average for the group.
- Creator"Bounty" Mutineers (Maker)
- Of the Period
- Place of OriginPitcairn Islands
- Date of Manufacture1900s
- Materials and Techniques
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 4 in. x W 15 in. x D 3 in.H 10.16 cm x W 38.1 cm x D 7.62 cm
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberLU804816803112
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- Shipping$110Standardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 4-5 weeks.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 7 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
4.7 / 5
Associations: 20th Century Specialists
1stdibs seller since 2005
Typical response time: 4 hours
Located in New York, NY
More From This Seller
Vittorio Introini Wall Mounted Modular Shelving for Saporiti, Italy, 1960s
By Vittorio Introini
Vittorio Introini Wall Mounted Modular Shelving...
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern
Smoked Glass, Chrome
Paul Evans Early Wall-Mounted Torch Cut Metal P...
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern
Bronze, Steel, Wood
Florence Knoll Walnut Wall-Mounted Drop Front C...
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern
Leather, Walnut, Wood
$5,500 / item
Fontana Arte Glass and Patinated Brass Wall Mou...
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern
You May Also Like
Pair of Pitcairn Island Carved Miro Wood Goblet...
Antique Early 1900s Pitcairn Islands Folk Art
Japanese Heavy Wood Hand Carved Koi Fish on Dis...
Antique 19th Century Japanese Edo
Hand Carved Deer, Pair of Teak Wood, Lombok Isl...
Vintage 1980s Indonesian Folk Art
Hand Carved Wooden Ram Wall Decor
Antique Early 1900s British
$119 Sale Price
Hand-Carved Wood Bear on Marble Stand
20th Century North American
$1,595 Sale Price
19th Century Chinese Restaurant Hand Carved Tra...
Antique 19th Century
Hand Carved Swedish Mangle Board
Antique Early 19th Century Swedish Folk Art