Items Similar to Delft Blue and White Charger with Chinoiserie Decoration Made 18th Century View More
Delft Blue and White Charger with Chinoiserie Decoration Made 18th Century
We are pleased to offer this 18th century Dutch delft blue and white charger. The pattern is a Dutch tribute to the best of 17th century Chinese design. The workman, circa 1740, painted the charger with lavish cobalt blue decoration. In the center we see a Chinese peasant walking past a stately home. The tool he carries is the Dutch painter's interpretation of the traditional Chinese nine pointed hoe, used in farming. The hat he is wearing is typical for peasant men in ancient China. Around him is lively decoration in a wide border with panels depicting a Chinese figure alternating with panels showing foliate scrolls. The underside of the rim is decorated with X-O and dash motifs (see images 8 and 9). The charger has many decorative elements that insure a fresh appreciation every time you look at it. Condition of the charger is excellent. Dimensions: diameter 13.25" Price: $1600 Background of Dutch delft in the chinoiserie style: In the beginning of the 17th century two Portuguese merchant boats returning from China were captured by Dutch warships. The Chinese blue and white porcelains in their cargoes, known as Kraak porcelain, with emphasis on paneled decoration in wide borders. These blue and white porcelains sold well in the Dutch market. This was the start of the Dutch people's long lasting love for Chinese ceramics. Later in the mid-17th century, civil wars in China sharply curtailed the production and export of Chinese porcelains. Dutch entrepreneurs jumped to fill the popular demand for blue and white wares. They created chinoiserie decorated delft which quickly became very popular.
- Of the Period
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1740
- Materials and TechniquesGlazedDelft
- Condition DetailsTiny edge frits invisibly restored
- DimensionsH 2 in. x Dm 13.25 in.H 5.08 cm x Dm 33.66 cm
- Diameter13.25 in. (33.66 cm)
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberLU866516359472
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- Shipping$110Standardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 3-5 weeks.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 30 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2009
Typical response time: <1 hour
Located in New York, NY
More From This Seller
Antique Blue and White Delft Charger 18th Century
Antique 18th Century Dutch Rococo
Delft Blue and White Charger Featuring Flowers ...
Antique 1780s Dutch Rococo
Extra Large Delft Blue and White Charger Made, ...
Antique Late 17th Century Dutch Chinoiserie
You May Also Like
Mid 18th Century Chinoiserie Decorated English ...
Antique Mid-18th Century English George II
18th Century Delft Blue and White Porcelain Lio...
Antique 18th Century Dutch
Pair of Jumbo 18th Century Delft Blue and White...
Antique 18th Century
18th Century Dutch Delft Faïence Chinoiserie St...
Antique Early 18th Century Dutch Dutch Colonial