Items Similar to Antique Art Nouveau Christofle Silver Plate Vase, France, C.1900
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 8
Antique Art Nouveau Christofle Silver Plate Vase, France, C.1900
Antique Art Nouveau Christofle silver plate vase, France C.1900. The vase on oval swirl base rising to tapered bulbous form, elaborately decorated with raised tendril foliage design, the handles conforming, the top of open bud petal design. Overall Height: 12 inches. Width (handle to handle) 4 ¼ inches. Marked to base Orfevrerie Gallia 4657 for Christofle.
- CreatorChristofle (Maker)
- DimensionsHeight: 12 in. (30.48 cm)Width: 4.25 in. (10.8 cm)Depth: 4.25 in. (10.8 cm)
- StyleArt Nouveau (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1900
- Seller LocationToronto, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: AL31051stDibs: LU1070625372052
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity.Estimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: Toronto, Canada
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Maker
Although he started his career as a jeweler in 1830 — after apprenticing with his copper jeweler brother-in-law years earlier — Charles Christofle (1805–63) recognized that Second Empire France had an untapped audience for luxury silverware and tableware. Gold and silver gilt had been the high-end standard in the 18th century, yet society after the Industrial Revolution demanded a more affordable, but still refined, approach. So in the 1840s, Christofle cornered the market on electrolytic gilding and silver plating, dominating the hold on patents in the country for over a decade. His work soon attracted the attention of Louis-Philippe I and then Napoleon III, under whom he was named Fournisseur de l’Empereur, cementing the prestige of his brand.While Christofle created decadent centerpieces and tableware for the French palaces — as well as prominent clients like the Orient Express — the company’s electroplating of silverware that was far less expensive than that made by silversmiths attained widespread popularity. At a time when many who could not afford gold or silver still used wooden utensils, Christofle was a game changer for at-home dining. An appearance at the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago furthered the company’s reach to American consumers who would soon rival the manufacturer’s European clientele.The 20th century saw Christofle adapting to changing tastes in its offerings, such as the Aria collection, which debuted in 1985 with column-like lines on its flatware designed by Bernard Yot, and the playful egg-shaped silverware container introduced in 2015 that opens to reveal a full flatware set. The company also now sells barware, home accessories and even jewelry, harkening back to its roots. Now almost two centuries old, Christofle maintains its reputation as a leading flatware and silverware company under the ownership of the Chalhoub group, its utensils gracing tables in homes, hotels and restaurants all over the world.Shop authentic Christofle serveware, ceramics, decorative objects and more on 1stDibs.
About the Seller
Located in Toronto, Canada
5 / 5
These prestigious sellers are industry leaders and represent the highest echelon for item quality and design.
Established in 1880
1stDibs seller since 2014
109 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: <1 hour
More From This Seller
- By Hugo LevenLocated in Toronto, OntarioHugo Leven Art Nouveau Centrepiece, pewter silver plated Germany, circa 1890,depicting a maidenhead with hair fl...Category
Antique Early 1900s German Art Nouveau Planters, Cachepots and JardinièresMaterials
Silver Plate, Pewter
- Located in Toronto, OntarioArt Nouveau silver and glass claret jug, Germany circa 1900 J. Mayers Sohne, Austrian import marks. Fine Art Nou...Category
Early 20th Century German Art Nouveau BarwareMaterials
- By ChristofleLocated in Toronto, OntarioChristofle Gallia Art Deco cocktail shaker barware set C.1930. Luc Lanel designed comprising Shaker, six Beakers...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco BarwareMaterials
- Located in Toronto, OntarioArt Nouveau French gilded bronze Tantalus set complete with 12 glasses, locking mechanism with original keys. Th...Category
Antique 1890s Art Nouveau BarwareMaterials
BronzeUS$1,800 Sale Price20% Off
- Located in Toronto, OntarioArt Nouveau Kayserzinn pewter two handled oval dish, Germany, circa 1900. Embossed stylised foliage design, No 4...Category
Antique Early 1900s Art Nouveau Decorative Dishes and Vide-PocheMaterials
- By Gio Ponti, Christofle, Jacques SitoleuxLocated in Toronto, OntarioSilvered metal vase by Jacques Sitoleux for Christofle, 1960s. Five varying size tubular columns. Stamped maker’...Category
Mid-20th Century French VasesMaterials
MetalUS$1,850 Sale Price24% Off
You May Also Like
Christofle Silver Plate Bud Vase
Located in San Diego, CA
Silver plated bud vase with a trio of stylized bird figures at the base by Christofle.
Mid-20th Century French Art Deco Sheffield and Silverplate
Antique French Christofle Silver Plated Tray, circa 1896 Art Nouveau
Located in Bath, GB
An absolute joy, this organically shaped shape harks to the Art Nouveau era. The tray is fully hallmarked for Maison Christofle, This Christofle Tray has the mark used from 1867 t...
Antique 1890s French Art Nouveau Platters and Serveware
Christofle Silver Plated Antique Styled Knife Rests Set of Six
Located in Hamilton, Ontario
This set of six silver plated knife rests were made by Christofle of France in approximately 1960 in an antique style. The knife rests have nicely decorated serpentine side panels wi...
Mid-20th Century French Louis XVI Sheffield and Silverplate
Art Nouveau set of 6 Knife Rests Poppy Flowers Gallia Christofle Silver Plated
Located in Paris, FR
This set of 6 knife-rests with blooming poppy flowers is a very good and typical Art Nouveau design. They are silver-plated, made by Gallia famous french silversmith part of Christof...
Antique Early 1900s French Art Nouveau Tableware
Art Nouveau Silver Plated Vases
Located in Hamilton, Ontario
Art Nouveau Silver Plated Vases
Antique 19th Century Art Nouveau Vases
US$1,195 Sale Price / set
Christofle Luc Lanel Art Deco Vase Normandie Silver plate Urn
Located in Oakland, CA
Christofle Luc Lanel Normandie Art Deco Vase. This is an extremely rare silver plate urn designed for the first class quarters/cabins of the French transatlantic ocean liner Normandi...
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco Tableware
A Very Elegant Silver Plated Caviar Bowl by Christofle, France Circa 1970
Located in Ottawa, Ontario
A very elegant 3 part silver plated caviar bowl by one of the world's most recognized leading makers of silver & silver plated luxury goods. The circular bowl showing stylized carryi...
Late 20th Century French Post-Modern Serving Pieces
12 Christofle Knive Rests, Silver Plated Hand Chased Details
Located in West Palm Beach, FL
A great quality set of knife rests that we always find so practical and pretty for your table setting. These are hand chased from the storied firm of Christofle, France. One of their...
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Sheffield and Silverplate