Items Similar to 19th Century Marble Bust of Sir Thomas Spencer Wells, circa 1879
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 13
19th Century Marble Bust of Sir Thomas Spencer Wells, circa 1879
Sir Thomas Wells was an illustrious surgeon and President of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1883 and was also Surgeon to the Household of Queen Victoria from 1863-1896.there is so much more which he achieved and we have a full history of Sir Wells,and his sculptor,who was also an eminent surgeon which we have researched and are happy to share. Please see: Wells, Sir Thomas Spencer-biographical entry- 1) Plarr's Lives of the Fellows 2) Wikisource and Wikipedia The family of Sir Thomas Spencer Wells,Baronet,F.R.C.S.91818-1897),thence by descent. Literature Sources Algernon Graves's 1906 "The Royal Academy of Arts.A complete Dictionary of contributors...1769-1904" Where it lists on Page 61 of volume 5 reads:"Liebreich,R,Sculptor,18 Albemarle Street.1879,1471,T.Spencer Wells, F.R.C.S., bust, marble".
- CreatorRichard Liebreich (Sculptor),
- DimensionsHeight: 67.3 in. (170.95 cm)Width: 22.4 in. (56.9 cm)Depth: 15.7 in. (39.88 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleVictorian (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1879
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Reference NumberSeller: Code: 104091stDibs: LU4776114952391
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Estimated Customs Duties & Taxes to the Continental US: $0.Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in London, United Kingdom
4.3 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 1987
1stDibs seller since 2019
22 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 5 hours
More From This Seller
- Located in London, GreenwichA really good example of a 19th century ecclesiastical Gothic Revival Priests' chair, with fretted sides and cen...Category
Antique 1850s British Gothic Revival ArmchairsMaterials
- Located in London, GreenwichA grand tour Shabti doll. Made from a composite clay material with traces of blue green faince. Dating from circ...Category
Antique 1850s Egyptian Egyptian Revival Figurative SculpturesMaterials
StoneUS$312 Sale Price20% Off
- Located in London, GreenwichEarly 19th century bankers drawers with original lions head handles. This is an exceptional bank of drawers, of ...Category
Antique 1830s British George III CabinetsMaterials
You May Also Like
19th Century Marble Bust of Lt General Sir Lewis Grant
Located in London, GB
By Robert Physick (1815-1865) Lewis Grant was the son of Duncan Grant of Mulochaird, Strathspey, and the younger brother of Sir James Robert Grant, the chief British Army medical of...
Antique Mid-19th Century English Victorian Busts
Unfinished Marble Bust, circa 19th Century
Located in Culver City, CA
Marble bust, circa 19th century Representation of a boy with a finely finished face and other roughly carved, un-finished elements. This piece ships from Providence, Rhode Island.
Antique 19th Century American Figurative Sculptures
US$4,200 Sale Price
19th Century Marble Bust
Located in Newport Beach, CA
Sensitively hand carved, Italian, solid Carrara marble bust of a young man with flowing locks. Mounted on a custom, hand painted faux rouge marble base.
Antique 19th Century Italian Classical Roman Busts
19th Century French Marble Bust
Located in Atlanta, GA
19th century French marble bust.
Antique Late 19th Century French Busts
Marble Bust of a Woman, French, 19th Century
Located in Houston, TX
White Carrara marble bust of a French woman, 19th century. Beautifully carved face with lovely features and long hair.
Antique Mid-19th Century French Busts
English 19th Century White Carrara Marble Bust by Sir William Hamo Thornycroft
By William Hamo Thornycroft
Located in West Palm Beach, FL
A detailed and wonderfully executed English 19th century white Carrara marble bust of a classical nobleman by famous English sculptor Sir William Hamo Thornycroft. The noble with an ...
Antique 19th Century English Figurative Sculptures
Marble Bust of a Lady, Italy 19th Century
Located in Greding, DE
Marble bust of a middle-aged woman with updo and lace-trimmed top standing on a profiled plinth. Her head is slightly turned to the left. Very nice, detailed elaboration.
Antique 19th Century Italian Busts
19th Century Weathered English Marble Bust
Located in Pease pottage, West Sussex
Grand scale marble bust, beautifully weathered and original, found on his original socle. Wonderful ghostly patination and wear. England, circa 1800.
Antique 19th Century British Busts
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery