- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Abstract Glass Sculpture by Sven Palmqvist for Orrefors
- DimensionsHeight: 11.62 in. (29.5 cm)Width: 7.88 in. (20 cm)Depth: 3.75 in. (9.5 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1961
- ConditionMinor structural damages.
- Seller LocationMilan, IT
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU945114558621
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Customs Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Milan, Italy
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About Orrefors (Manufacturer)
The Swedish design philosophy of “beautiful things for everyday life” is actualized in the glassware of Orrefors. Founded in 1898, this glass manufacturer was one of the leading companies in the Scandinavian Modernism movement and is revered by collectors for the fine craftsmanship and innovation of its superlative art glass.
Orrefors began making art glass — works that, distinct from mass-production pieces, are made in small numbers to showcase the skills and talents of artists and artisans — in 1913. Two of the first artists hired by the firm were Simon Gate and Edward Hald, who worked initially in the organic Art Nouveau style, and later proved adept with the geometric imagery of the Art Deco period. Hald and Gate worked closely with glassblowers to refine traditional glassmaking methods, creating new materials such as "graal" glass. In the graal technique a design made with colored glass is encased in layers of transparent glass, preserving the image while the overall glass form is worked and shaped. Orrefors won an international following when it presented such pieces in Paris in 1925 at the Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes — the design fair whose name gave rise to the term Art Deco.
In the years following that success, Orrefors attracted more dynamic and experimental artists such as Vicke Lindstrand and Edvin Ohrström, who joined the company in the 1930’s. Lindstrand and Ohstrom worked with glassblowers to create the "ariel" glass technique, an innovation that produces deeper, richer imagery that seems to morph and flow as light is refracted by the glass.
As you will see from the items offered on these pages, there is a special aesthetic quality to Orrefors glass. Whether a vase or a set of wine goblets, the work of this premier Swedish company represents the apex of functional artistry.
- By Floris Meydam, Glasfabriek LeerdamLocated in Milan, ITGorgeous crystal sphere by Floris Meydam for Leerdam Solid glass sculpture generated by two orthogonal cuts.Category
Vintage 1960s Dutch Minimalist Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- By Venini, Gio PontiLocated in Milan, IT"Pennellate" glass sculpture by Gio Ponti for Venini. Colored glass block used as sample to compose screens, la...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian SculpturesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Glass
Glass, Art Glass
Vintage 1950s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Vases
Vintage 1960s Swedish Vases
Vintage 1950s Swedish Vases
Vintage 1950s Swedish Vases
Vintage 1940s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Vases
Vintage 1960s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Decorative Bowls
Vintage 1950s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Glass
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery