- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Van Cleef & Arpels Jewelry Library or Coffee Table Book
- CreatorVan Cleef & Arpels (Jeweler)
- DimensionsHeight: 13.38 in. (33.99 cm)Width: 11.38 in. (28.91 cm)Depth: 1.13 in. (2.88 cm)
- StyleModern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture2006
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. - Book maintains original transparent wrapping as show in image #19 (last image.).
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1314221338122
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$110 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 3-5 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About Van Cleef & Arpels (Jeweler)
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than jewelry whose primary aim was the display of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce pieces that projected the wearer’s taste and style — winning the house a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.) Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the firm distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace. Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
- By Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA small, very beautiful library or coffee table book from French luxury jeweler Van Cleef & Arpels, circa 1990s....Category
1990s French Art Deco More Desk AccessoriesMaterials
- By Philippe StarckLocated in New York, NYSTARCK, a coffee table or library book by Philippe Starck, 1996, Frist Edition, made in Germany. 'STARCK' conte...Category
1990s German Post-Modern BooksMaterials
- Located in New York, NYThe beautiful and iconic Slim Aarons La Dolce Vita library or coffee table book. Slim Aarons was an American pho...Category
2010s American BooksMaterials
- By Kelly KleinLocated in New York, NYA signed, first edition, POOLS architecture coffee table or library book by Kelly Klein. Signature: 'Kelly Klein...Category
1990s American BooksMaterials
- By Georgia O'KeeffeLocated in New York, NYGeorgia O'Keeffe, 'One Hundred Flowers', coffee table or library book, 1987. American Modernism; a very beautifu...Category
20th Century American Organic Modern BooksMaterials
- By BvlgariLocated in New York, NYThis is a beautiful coffee table or library book about the history of the iconic Italian luxury jeweler Bvlgari ...Category
1990s Italian BooksMaterials
You May Also Like
20th Century European Books
20th Century Books
Vintage 1980s Books
20th Century Books
Vintage 1920s Books
20th Century American American Classical Books
Vintage 1930s English Art Deco More Desk Accessories
Vintage 1950s French Bottles