Items Similar to Japanese 'Saki-ori' Rug with Patchwork Cotton Backing, Early 20th Century View More
Japanese 'Saki-ori' Rug with Patchwork Cotton Backing, Early 20th Century
This rug or blanket is handmade using the 'saki-ori' weaving technique which incorporates a recycled rag weft (often made from shredded kimono and other garments), with a cotton warp. Saki, means 'tear' or 'rip' and Ori means 'weaving'. Historically, clothing made from 'saki-ori' cloth was first woven by Japanese peasants in the Edo period (18th century). New cotton cloth was very rare and beyond the means of farmers or fisherman. The weft material is made from age softened recycled garments and is a mix of cotton, silk or other textiles that were to hand, but it is primarily cotton. The backing is made from patchwork cotton fabric. A warming color palate of muted age softened tones is used throughout in a delightfully random manner.
- Place of Origin
- Date of ManufactureUnknown
- Materials and Techniques
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 59.06 in. x W 59.06 in. x D 0.4 in.H 150 cm x W 150 cm x D 1 cm
- Seller LocationPrahran, AU
- Seller Reference NumberZZI19005
- Reference NumberLU1256216585161
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingFree ShippingStandardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 1-3 weeks.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2015
Typical response time: 23 hours
Located in Prahran, AU
More From This Seller
Antique Japanese Women's Formal Silk Kimono wit...
Early 20th Century Japanese
Vintage Japanese Purple Silk Haori with Mandari...
Early 20th Century Japanese
18th Century Japanese Tsutsugaki Indigo Futon C...
Antique Mid-18th Century Japanese Edo
You May Also Like
Early 20th Century Samarkand (Khotan) Rug
20th Century Chinese Khotan
Early 20th Century Peking Carpet
Early 20th Century Chinese Art Deco
Early 20th Century Tibetan Carpet Runner
Early 20th Century Tibetan Tribal
Early 20th Century Japanese Zanshi-Ori Futon Co...
Early 20th Century Japanese Folk Art
20th century Chinese Carpet with Sculpted Border
Vintage 1920s Chinese Art Deco
Indian Early 20th Century Indigo Cotton Dhurrie...
Early 20th Century Indian Tribal
Japanese Sashiko-stitched Cotton Rodogi Work Co...
20th Century Japanese Meiji