J. & L. Lobmeyr
The venerable Austrian firm J. & L. Lobmeyr is one of the world’s premier glassware makers and purveyors, noted especially for its lighting and tableware designs. Headquartered in Vienna, Lobmeyr has won numerous illustrious commissions in its nearly two centuries in business, including the chandeliers for the Hapsburg monarchy’s Schönbrunn Palace, the Lincoln Center home of the Metropolitan Opera in New York, and the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.
Lobmeyr is still family owned and managed. The company was founded by glass trader Josef Lobmeyr in 1823. It thrived during the long tenure of his son Ludwig, who built a network of manufacturers and artisanal workshops in Bohemia—central Europe’s revered glass-making region, now part of the Czech Republic—and earned imperial patronage. (He also collaborated with Thomas Edison to create the first electric chandelier, in 1883.) His nephew, Stefan Rath, who took over as head of Lobmeyr in 1917, introduced modernist design to the company repertoire, contracting with designers such as Josef Hoffmann, Adolf Loos, Otto Prutscher and Michael Powolny to create tableware.
Lobmeyr has never been married to a dominant in-house design type. The firm has produced chandeliers and sconces in styles as various as neo-Baroque, Rococo, neoclassical (or Louis XVI), Art Nouveau, minimalist and “sputnik” mid-century modern. As you will see from the offerings available on these pages, Lobmeyr can bring a sense of grandeur suitable to any décor.