Skip to main content

Towle Grand Duchess

Price
Shipping Options
Sort By
Grand Duchess by Towle Sterling Silver Flatware Set Service 35 Pieces
By Towle Silversmiths
Located in Big Bend, WI
A gently tapered handle leads to a quiet work of rosettes and scrollwork, emphasizing the detail of this pattern. The oval mirror in the center of the handle acknowledges the vanity ...
Category

Vintage 1970s American Sterling Silver

Materials

Sterling Silver

Grand Duchess by Towle Sterling Silver Flatware Set for 8 Service 46 pieces
By Towle Silversmiths
Located in Big Bend, WI
Grand Duchess by Towle sterling silver flatware set - 46 pieces. This set includes: 8 knives, 9 1/4" 8 forks, 7 5/8" 8 salad forks, 7" 8 teaspoons, 6 1/8" 8 place soup spoons, 7 1/8...
Category

Late 20th Century Tableware

Materials

Sterling Silver

Grand Duchess by Towle Sterling Silver Flatware Set for 12 Service 79 Pcs
By Towle Silversmiths
Located in Big Bend, WI
Grand duchess by Towle sterling silver flatware set, 79 pieces. This set includes: 12 knives, 9 1/4" 12 forks, 7 5/8" 12 salad forks, 7" 12 teaspoons, 6 1/8" 12 place soup spoons, 7...
Category

20th Century Sterling Silver

Materials

Sterling Silver

Grand Duchess by Towle Sterling Silver Flatware Set for 12 Service 51 Pcs
By Towle Silversmiths
Located in Big Bend, WI
Grand Duchess by Towle sterling silver flatware set of 51 pieces. This set includes: 12 knives, 9 1/4", 12 forks, 7 5/8", 12 salad forks, 7", 12 teaspoons, 6 1/4", one gravy la...
Category

Late 20th Century Tableware

Materials

Sterling Silver

Grand Duchess Sterling Flatware; Service for 12 /60 Pieces
By Towle Silversmiths
Located in Brooklyn, NY
This sterling silver dinner size set of Grand Duchess by Towle Silversmiths is a Classic and will never go out of style. Included are 12 settings, 5 pieces each: dinner fork and knif...
Category

Vintage 1970s American Sterling Silver

Materials

Sterling Silver

Finding the Right Sterling Silver for You

Dining and entertaining changed drastically when we began to set our tables with sterling silver for holiday gatherings, wedding receptions, engagement parties and, in some of today’s homes, everyday meals.

Often called the “Queen of metals,” silver has been universally adored for thousands of years. It is easy to see why it has always been sought after: It is durable, strong and beautiful. (Louis XIV had tables made entirely of silver.) Sterling silver is an alloy that is made of 92.5 percent silver — the “925” stamp that identifies sterling-silver jewelry refers to this number. The other 7.5 percent in sterling silver is typically sourced from copper.

Neoclassical-style sterling-silver goods in Europe gained popularity in the late 18th century — a taste for sterling-silver tableware as well as tea sets had taken shape — while in the United States, beginning in the 19th century, preparing the dinner table with sterling-silver flatware had become somewhat of a standard practice. Indeed, owning lots of silver goods during the Victorian era was a big deal. Back then, displaying fine silver at home was a status symbol for middle-class American families. And this domestic silver craze meant great profitability for legendary silversmith manufacturers such as Reed & Barton, Gorham Manufacturing Company and the International Silver Company, which was incorporated in Meriden, Connecticut, in 1898, a major hub of silver manufacturing nicknamed “Silver City.”

Today, special occasions might call for ceremonial silver designed by Tiffany & Co. or the seductive sterling-silver cutlery from remarkable Danish silversmith Georg Jensen, but there really doesn’t have to be an event on the calendar to trot out your finest tableware.

Event- and wedding-planning company maestro Tara Guérard says that some “investment pieces,” such as this widely enamored alloy, should see everyday use, and we’re inclined to agree.

“Sterling-silver flatware is a must-have that you can use every single day, even to eat cereal,” she says. “Personally, I want a sterling-silver goblet set for 12 to 20; I would use them every time I had a dinner party. Ultimately, there are no criteria for buying vintage pieces: Buy what you love, and make it work.”

Whether you’re thinking “ceremonial” or “cereal,” browse a versatile collection of vintage, new and antique sterling-silver wares on 1stDibs today.