- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Ronald OlleyRonald Olley (b.1923) - 20th Century Oil, A Thoughtful Moment
An extremely fine and engaging work by the British listed artist Ronald Olley (b.923), depicting a well-dressed elderly lady in a yellow hat, sipping coffee in an interior while pondering on a thought. The figure looks meaningfully to the distance on the left of the frame.
The artist manages to achieve an impressive sense of character in the subject, with elements of both realism and impressionistic detail. The square composition focuses the viewer, adding a distinct and purposeful immediacy. This is reflected in Olley's treatment of the background, and his fine command of the medium. An exceptional work from the artist's portfolio.
Well-presented in a painted wooden frame with gilt detail, with an overall distressed look. Signed to the lower left corner.
Signed. On board. Image Size: 55 x 65cm (21.7" x 25.6") Framed Size: 73.7 x 83.1cm (29" x 32.7") Artist Biography: Ronald Olley was born in 1923, and studied at both the Harrow Art School and the Central School, London. His father served as a soldier throughout the First World War, and Olley joined the army in 1942. He witnessed the bombing of Bath, England, before being stationed at El Alamein in Egypt, and Italy. As well as landscape and figure painting, Olley has had numerous commissions for portraits, mainly of women and children. As one of the last artists to paint World War II from personal experience, a significant part of his portfolio depicts battlegrounds and war-torn landscapes. These have been painted using significant research and photographs, alongside Olley's own knowledge of the front line. His work has been shown at the Royal Academy and the Royal Society of British Artists, as well as in exhibitions at the Medici Gallery and at Duncan Campbell. His pictures have been bought by collectors in Europe, the USA, Australia, Africa and Japan.
- CreatorRonald Olley
- Creation Year20th Century
- DimensionsHeight: 29.02 in. (73.7 cm)Width: 32.72 in. (83.1 cm)
- Movement & Style
- ConditionIn fine condition overall. Inspection under UV light reveals no restoration. The frame has some minor marks commensurate with the distressed paintwork.
- Gallery LocationBradford on Avon, GB
- Reference NumberSeller: km1941stDibs: LU88134323622
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$105 Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 6-13 days. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Customs Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Bradford on Avon, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 30 days of delivery.
- By Ronald OlleyLocated in Bradford on Avon, GBAn arresting and dramatic oil on canvas by the British listed artist Ronald Olley (b.1923), depicting a portrait...Category
Early 2000s Impressionist Portrait PaintingsMaterials
OilH 23.23 in. W 19.69 in.$650
- By Ronald OlleyLocated in Bradford on Avon, GBSulis Fine Art is proud to present a very fine contemporary still life by listed artist Ronald Olley. This fine...Category
Early 2000s Impressionist Still-life PaintingsMaterials
OilH 17.68 in. W 20.87 in.$715
- By Ronald OlleyLocated in Bradford on Avon, GBA finely executed oil painting by the listed artist Ronald Olley, depicting figures on the Pont des Arts bridge ...Category
Early 2000s Impressionist Landscape PaintingsMaterials
OilH 15.4 in. W 18.15 in.$700
- By Ronald OlleyLocated in Bradford on Avon, GBAn extremely fine and engaging work by the British listed artist Ronald Olley (b.923), depicting a boxing match ...Category
20th Century Impressionist Figurative PaintingsMaterials
OilH 18.94 in. W 26.42 in.$760
- By Ronald OlleyLocated in Bradford on Avon, GBAn arresting and dramatic oil by the British listed artist Ronald Olley (b.1923), portraying a fallen horse on t...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Figurative PaintingsMaterials
OilH 24.81 in. W 28.75 in.$733
- Located in Bradford on Avon, GBA delightful study of a lady. She is depicted wearing a fine pearl necklace and floral dress. Well presented in ...Category
20th Century Portrait PaintingsMaterials
OilH 22.84 in. W 29.73 in.$413
You May Also Like
Early 20th Century Impressionist Landscape Paintings
2010s Impressionist Portrait Paintings
1970s Impressionist Figurative Paintings
Early 2000s Impressionist Figurative Paintings
21st Century and Contemporary Impressionist Portrait Paintings
21st Century and Contemporary Impressionist Figurative Paintings
1970s Impressionist Portrait Paintings
1940s Impressionist Portrait Paintings
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery