The source of the young artist Michal Cygan´s art is to be found in the Silesian landscape, both in its material and its cultural dimension. The form of three-dimensional model is given to the landmarks of the region - familok houses, a shaft tower, a pressure tower, and below ground level - coal mine corridors. Both on the ground and below people live: they have their houses on the surface, they celebrate here, they fight and love here. They go underground to work, cultivating the profession of coal miner, traditional in Silesia. The artist is fascinated by the form of the architecture and the specific infrastructure, making up the industrial landscape of Silesia, but equally importand to him is the wealth of diverse relations created between the inhabitants. Michal Cygan is not from Silesia himself, which allows him to approach his topic without pomp, in an original way testifying to a fascination that is difficult to come by when we are talking about our mundane reality. Silesia in his perspective becomes something of a fairy-tale place, though this is a fairy tale for adults. Single colorful trees are promoted to the archetype of the apple tree in Eden, and lovers beneath it transform into Adam and Eve. Individual events gain a timeless dimension. Surfaces of houses, trees and human figures are covered with a colourful pattern, in equal measure expressing the energy and the potencial of the region and the emotions of the artist himself. Pink and green spots run like threads uniting the viewers observations and the artist´s vision, making up a created world, which is nevertheless rooted in our perceptions.
Education: Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice, 2011 -2016, Art Department, Graphic Art, Intaglio Stuido under prof. Jan Szmatloch. Painitng Studio under prof. K. Cieślik. He gratuaded with honors under prof. Adam Romaniuk.
• 2016 – Scholarship from the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage
• 2016 – Honorable Mention, Best Diplomas Academy of Fine Arts in Gdansk
• 2016 – Honorable mention in the Vincent Van Gogh’s National Competition in Rybnik
• 2015 – post-competition exhibition of 42. Painting Bienale „Bielska Jesień 2015”
• 2015 – 1st prize in Vincent Van Gogh’s National Competition in Rybnik
• 2015 – 1st prize in Poster competition „150 Years of Bison Breeding in Pszczyna”
• 2015 – 2nd prize in „Themerson Street” competition, Płock
• 2014 – Honorable mention in International Triennial of Digital Media, Radom